Willis and T. C. Prouty in Manhattan Beach, California established Metlox Manufacturing Company in 1927. Prior to about 1934, Metlox Pottery produced ceramic and neon outdoor signs.
About 1934, the companies began producing ceramic house wares for which they subsequently became quite well known. Continue reading Metlox Pottery
In April of 1910 Nelson McCoy and his father J. W. McCoy formed The Nelson McCoy Sanitary Stoneware Company, located in Roseville, Ohio.
They began to manufacture and sell functional and decorative stoneware. They also mined, bought and sold clay. This part of their business provided clay to many of the area potteries for several years. Continue reading McCoy Pottery
The term majolica is applied to earthenware that has been dipped in a white opaque glaze in order to provide a canvas for decoration and design. History tells us that craftsmen in North Africa attempting to recreate the fine white Chinese porcelain of the time developed this technique as early as the ninth century.
Today as “majolica” utilizes a technique of applying a tin or lead based enamel on soft, porous earthenware, which can be dated back thousands of years to ancient Persia where it was used in the construction of mosques and monuments throughout history. Continue reading Majolica
Addis Emmet Hull, in 1901, founded and managed the Globe Stoneware Company. In 1903, his brother, J.J. Hull helped establish the Acme Pottery Company. Both companies were located in Crooksville, Ohio. Continue reading Hull Pottery
David H. Haeger came to the United States from Germany, founding a small Illinois company in 1871 which took the original name of the Dundee Brickyard for the bricks and tile they made to rebuild Chicago after the great fire as well as other Midwestern cities and towns. Continue reading Haeger Pottery