Augustus H. Heisey was an original board member of the U.S. Glass Co and commercial sales manager until he left in 1893 to pursue other interests. After a couple of years in Colorado, Heisey decided to return to glassmaking and decided to build a factory in Newark, Ohio. Construction began in 1895 with the first glass made in April of 1896.
Late in 1900, the Heisey company began using its trademark, an “H” within a diamond. The design came from Heisey’s oldest son, patterned after his fraternity pin. In 1901 Heisey received its copyright for the trademark and advertised all pieces of Heisey glass were to be marked with the Diamond H. Notable exceptions were blownware and some patterns or specific pieces.
Early Heisey production was mainly in crystal glass although some colors were introduced in emerald, ivorina verde (custard), opal (milk glass), and canary (Vaseline). By 1914-15, Heisey expanded its line to include blownware, etchings, and cuttings. A.H. Heisey died in 1922 and his son, a chemist, took over the business. He immediately brought additional color into the Heisey line.
Through the late 1930’s and especially at the end of Prohibition, Heisey succeeded in upgrading their designs and added several lines. The company managed to survive WWII by producing the lines of Crystolite, Lariat and introducing a group of animal figurines.
Change in the American lifestyle after WWII, which was becoming more informal, made it difficult for Heisey to maintain its place in the market. Stylish dinnerware was giving into the less formal backyard barbeque. The Heisey family sold the entire company, including trademarks, accounts, molds and all assets to Imperial Glass Co. of Bellaire, Ohio, in 1958.
Ivorina Verde (Custard)
1898 – Opal (Opaque Milk Glass)
1900 – 1901 – Rose (Pale Pink)
Moongleam (transparent Light Green)
1927 – Hawthorne (Lavender – 1st Attempt)
1929 – Marigold (Yellow-Orange)
Sahara (transparent Yellow)
Alexandrite (Lavendar – 2nd Attempt)
Stiegel Blue (transparent Cobalt Blue)
1936 – Zircon (Blue-Green)
1951 – Sultana (Deep Amber)
1955 – Dawn (Charcoal Gray)
1956 – Limelight (Reintroduction of Zircon)